Tuesday 22 January 2013

Toddle Table Tuesdays

It can be difficult to get toddlers to sit up nicely at the table to do anything (even eat a meal), they seem to enjoy being on the move and as you know we have been experimenting with how we set up our toddle school. So after being inspired by some of the blogs I follow with their 'invitations to play' (http://www.theimaginationtree.com/ is one of my favourites) I have come up with the idea of using Little Boy Blues train table. 





So for each Tuesday I plan to pack the train set away, turn the board over and set the table up with some themed items to attract Little boy Blue to come and spend some time. Last Tuesday was our first Toddle Table Tuesday, this was how the table looked for the start of Little Boy Blues day.




Our theme was Jungle animals and for this I used: 

1. My First Counting Animals Puzzle by M&S (10 animal, 2 piece puzzle with touchable textures)
2. A selection of toy jungle animals (including finger/hand puppets)
3. Books - Little Tigers big surprise by Julie Sykes, Animal Noises board book, Jungle Animals board book by Parragon Books, Baby Animals board book, Animals by My little pocket library and Handa's Surprise by Eileen Browne (with DVD).
4. Spin and Learn Globe from Vtech.
5. Animal Snap cards (I took out 2 cards of each animal, set out 1 of each them had the others in a pile for Little Boy Blue to match)
6. ABC Frame (to discuss starting sounds of jungle animals)

Having the toddle table time gives Little Boy Blue the freedom he seems to need to move around but also has plenty of variety to keep him engaged. It worked well for us and we were all able to participate too.

I hope to make Toddle Table Tuesday a regular post so remember to check in next week.


5 comments:

  1. How fun for Little Boy Blue, I bet he loves Toddle Table Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleacia, home educating with a toddler around can be a challenge but it's important that we all enjoy it, have fun and love being with each other. Blogging is new to me but I'm inspired by others and love sharing.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic idea! I don't home school (but I am a trained primary school teacher now working from home) but I do find that I need more and more activities for my 3 year old to do when he's not at nursery. I'll enjoy reading more of your blog I think! Thanks so much for sharing :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susanne, I do hope you get some different ideas. I have 3 boys and know all to well how active they can be especially at 3 yrs old!

      Delete
    2. You may also like my Dinner Time Distraction post :)

      Delete